Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Windham World Cup



In the middle of New York state are the Catskills Mountains. During prohibition, bootleggers would voyage up here from New York City to escape authorities. Many horror legends originated from this area and presumably from intoxicated people wandering through the woods.

Sounds like a great place to host a world cup race. Well, it was. The track was short, but technical and had all elements of what a true race should have. It rained again, but only on Thursday and as the weekend progressed, the track dried out and some great ruts formed.

I haven't been feeling 100% in my race runs lately, so I tried listening to music and warming up with a little more intensity this time for qualifying. I think I'm finding the right balance of what works for me leading up to an important run. The times were tight in qualifying, with the gap between first and eightieth only 25 seconds apart, I managed to sneak in - 76th. Not exactly what I wanted, but I did made some crucial mistakes and knew I had a lot left in the tank for Sunday.

My run started great, I felt faster than all of practice, but still in control, until this happened:

My tire rolls off the rim and I could not finish the race

The same thing happened to Gee Atherton last weekend in Mont St Anne, so it can happen to anyone, even World Champions.

Riding and racing are two totally different things and I feel like I'm finally learning the difference. I no know how I have to prepare myself for the start gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment